Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cultural Renaissance or Cultural Divide?

Bill Ivey and Steven J. Tepper, of course, had to add in at least one paragraph dedicated to the iPod. The two go on to say that this device allows citizens the capability to exlpore new entertainment. I agree that citizens are able to develop a sense of knowledge by learning how to work an iPod. For those who are not technologically smart, are now thinking they have some sort of technology knowledge. However, next time you see two people walking, I bet at least one of the two as an iPod bud in his or her ear. Has the iPod lessened conversation? Perhaps.

The most interesting paragraph, to me, was concentrated on the radio today. I absolutely agree with Ivey and Tepper that most radio stations play only a few recordings at a time. The number of songs played at a time is 12, and those 12 are continually replayed. Not only does this put recording artists out of the system and limit consumer choice, but it also gives few recordings to achieve success. Personally, while I am listening to the radio during a road trip, I hear the same song more than once just one way. Then when I am coming home from the road trip, I will hear that same song another several times. The worst part, however, is that some stations play the same songs; so changing the radio station does not even help sometimes!

Althought the iPod may hurt conversation and the radio annoys listeners with constant repeats, the two devices make any task more pleasurable. For me, my iPod allows me to enjoy a run and my car radio allows me to enjoy a ride rather than hear silence. Despite possible downfalls, music is an advance in society itself and would be dull without it.

1 comment:

EmSmith said...

Casey, I just wanted to add that there is a new feature on the iPhone (i think) that allows you to identify the song you were just listening to on the radio and download it directly off of iTunes. I thought about that when I was reading your post. Its kind of cool, but it seems that sooner or later regular FM and AM radios will become obsolete.